The addon that "revolutionize the way you fly in Flight Simulator"
home > forum > Real World Aviation

New Topic  |  return to threads list  |  Search  |  Log In  |  Help    Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
Checkride
Author: timtomairways  Www     1354 Posts  Status: Living Legend    Date    04-28-12 04:50

well the time has come.

In the morning ill be flying with the DPE. since i live a good ways from the airport. i do my flight planing the night before, i dont get the most acurate
weather thoue. But i have to live with that. the 2 instructors i had, and the schools ASST Cheif Instructor (she gave me a mock checkride) where both
satisfyed with my flight planning before. So hopefully the DPE will be. Ill be in N6200Q, a 2008 C172 with G1000 avionics.

ive posted pics of my flight planing below. bear in mind excel did not do the math for me, i used my own calculator, and i use excel becaues my hand
writing stinks. going to bed now. wish me luck

Mocha hagotdi
"Jack of all trades, master of none"
Quote this message in your reply

Re: Checkride
Author: hyderpotter  Www     158 Posts  Status: Instructor Pilot    Date    04-28-12 08:03

good luck mate

Author: gbapache      1735 Posts  Status: Living Legend    Date    04-28-12 12:40

I expect, as does Joe, a full after action report the minute you get home. Good luck and don't worry about a thing, you'll do fine. :wor:

If it's stupid, but it works, it isn't stupid.

Author: timtomairways  Www     1354 Posts  Status: Living Legend    Date    04-29-12 03:17

okay say hello to the worlds newest privet pilot

I arrived at the aiport early and finished the W&B as well as did the density altitude ECT ECT.

My DPE was a retierd navy pilot, retiered cargo pilot Retiered somthing else who just did examination on the side becaues he loves to fly. you really
could not ask for a better DPE. My oral went without a hitch, i was suprised when he said i actualy knew more than most students hes tested. i guess
i was more prepared than i thought. he also offered some helpfull in site, recommending i know the FREQ range for VOR and VHF coms. reason
being you canfigure out a FREQ you need if you dont have all the numbers.

During the preflight he asked a few things about the airplane. all but one of wich i got. It turns out you can actually fly a C172 down to 2quarts of oil.
Altho its not recommended it can still lube and cool the engine. i thought the minimum was 6 (in my defense thats what the flight school told me).
Starting up i was commented on a thurogh and excelent preflight. Running throue the checklist i soon had the engine running and we taxied out.

Holding short of the taxiway i called Clearence for VFR flight following throue the class C. then got my taxi clerance out to runway 5. during the runup
and while holding short on of the local banner towing aircraft was trying to pick up his banner. He failed probly 9 times. then he finally got it after we
called for T/O clerance. we took off and well it was chrystal clear throout the souteast today. very busy planes flying VFR local, others comming in on
cross countrys. busy day. Tower asked me to turn upwind earlyer than normal then switch to DEP on 124.9.

Climbing up to 6500 and getting vectored the the examiner asked me to divert before we even got to the TOC waypoint. He later stated that he
useally dosent take long on the Xcountry portino in G1000 aircraft. caues if you cant get on corse in one of thoues something is wrong. then after
turning south tword herlong. we canceled our VFR flight following, the controller told us to squawk VFR FREQ change approved, and also cautioned
traffic at our 12oclock in a fast climb going opposite direction. what to my wandering eye appeared. 2 F-18s departing cicel feild (they showed up on
the TIS as one aircraft) i put on the instrument hood and had to navigate to herlong useing my instruments. a few odd attitudes, then tht part was
over ( i was worried about the hood. it alwys made me alittle quiesy, and about 0.5 of my instrument hours where actual instrument, not simulated).

i brought us in for the left traffic RW11. we did our landings there. Herlong had intresting condidtions today. the wind was varible at 4 knots, with
ocational gust to 10 ( and by that i mean AWOS should have just said winds VRB at 10). they kept changing,, every time on approach the shifted
from quatering head wind, to 100% crosswind, to quatering tailwind. then back. made the landing thoue. He commented my soft feild was "Firm, but
not hard". and my stall horn was blaring everytime on touchdown. altho i was not satisfyed with thoues landings. he was.

we headed back north and did the steep turns. i was right on them, i never even passed theplus or minus 10' so i didnot come close to the 100' the
PTS has. ground referance followed. that was uneventfull. we headed back to CRG. where he suprised me. he told me to tune the FREQS and set
the altimiter, he copied the ATIS saying "i have to be alittle usefull on this flight". i came back and tried the landings agine where the wind was more
steady. After the full stop, we taxied in parked and secured the airplane. we where sapost to have the plane from 1300 to 1500 as someone was
comming in for thire intro flight into the privet pilot course. we got back at 1530. opps, oh well 63F (the other C172) was avalible for them. its older
and the softkeys reqiuerr a hammer to push them, so when he fly 00Q he will have fun.

post flight. i know have my TEMP certifacet. soon the real one wil lbe in the mail. and i hade one of my favorit restraunts for dinner tonight.
LongHorn steakhouse.

Mocha hagotdi

Author: airmiles      329 Posts  Status: Astronaut    Date    04-29-12 07:32

Well done, I think I will have a drink or two for you over in the UK. :beer: :beer:

:drink: :beer:
PEDRO

Remember thers no such thing as bad weather only the wrong clothes

Author: gbapache      1735 Posts  Status: Living Legend    Date    04-29-12 12:49

Well done my new brother pilot. Here in Canton, Ga we will have a party in your honor. :beer::friend:

Author: timtomairways  Www     1354 Posts  Status: Living Legend    Date    04-29-12 22:42

yay. party!!!

Mocha hagotdi

Author: Joeflyer      8027 Posts  Status: Living Legend    Date    04-30-12 16:10

Bravo Zulu, Tim! I remember my Private check ride like it was yesterday. My examiner pulled the power to idle while we were on a downwind pattern at
my home airport...at the end of the check ride...."Engine out! Whacha gonna do?" I told him that he was going to fly the airplane now...LOL! He
chuckled but I got us back on the runway without leaving airplane parts behind us :badsmile:

At any rate, welcome to the close-knit brotherhood of pilots!

Author: gbapache      1735 Posts  Status: Living Legend    Date    06-06-12 20:39

The jerk-off ass-hole p.o.s. IP that gave me my OH-58 (Bell Jetranger) checkride was tapping me on my helmet with a one foot long
broken boom handle at the same time he killed my engine. I had to land in the middle of a peanut farm. I think I passed. :)

Author: timtomairways  Www     1354 Posts  Status: Living Legend    Date    06-06-12 22:10

Well atlest you got some peanuts

Mocha hagotdi

Author: 969SQN  Www     197 Posts  Status: Exceptional Pilot    Date    06-06-12 22:26

Well Done TimTom :)
Hearing your story makes me want to start my PPL soon as. Problem is need to keep saving my money and not spending it on booze
:drink:
On this occasion free round off me :beer:

If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport. :)

Author: gbapache      1735 Posts  Status: Living Legend    Date    06-07-12 01:56

timtomairways wrote:
Well atlest you got some peanuts

Tim...........You know as well as I that raw peaunts SUCK!!!!!!!! In a pinch I have been known to make a pretty good field onion soup.

Author: timtomairways  Www     1354 Posts  Status: Living Legend    Date    06-07-12 18:03

you did not have to eat them right ythere. Takem home and boil them.

@SQN. It is expensive sadly. thats probly the main thing that turns people away from learning to fly. The price. With alot of newer planes Costing
$150 per hour, An instructer fee (mine was $60 a hour for him) plus feuel if the school charges a fuel charge. At first mine did however i changed
schools tword the end (not my idea the one is was at went out of buisness) and the school i went to was run by a family who also owned a charter
company on the same ramp, they did not charge for fuel. I was looking at $200 a hour for dual instruction. wich is one reason i love solo flying so
much its cheaper. plus you factor in gas in your car it takes to get there ( i live a hour drive away) and books that you need (they are not to pricy).

Yea its a wallet drainer. however its well worth it. i worked at a job making just over minimum wage the entier time i was learning. And the job market
is not good in my areea so im stcuk there for the time being. but if you do what i do. no pets nor girl freind (thats a big one) and forget any kind of a
social life. oh and other hobbys. (video games was one that got hit hard when i started flying)/

Mocha hagotdi

Author: gbapache      1735 Posts  Status: Living Legend    Date    06-07-12 18:40

@SQN, after looking at your profile I would assume that you live in The UK and show an interest in the RAF. If I were you I would follow
that line of thinking and bust your tail in school and get a scholarship to one of the many great military schools available there and learn to
fly through them while serving your country. That's just me though, I'm all squishy and patriotic about these things.
:beer:

Author: timtomairways  Www     1354 Posts  Status: Living Legend    Date    06-08-12 05:01

id go with Apaches suggestion

Mocha hagotdi

Author: 969SQN  Www     197 Posts  Status: Exceptional Pilot    Date    06-08-12 20:22

Yea PPL must be a wallet drainer for you Tim, but when you get the bug on flying you just want to keep flying and turns into something you
love, but the first time I flew in an aircraft was the Grob Tutor when I was 15 and was an unforgettable experience for me,
as I'm sure most of you remember your first ever flight?
Since then I definitely knew that I wanted to become a pilot. Year after I did 2 weeks work experience at city Manchester airport (small local field
not the main international one lol) and spent one week with the Air Traffic Controllers and another with the Aeronautical Engineers.
The controllers did a fantastic job, and made my week so entertaining and enjoyable, and when it got quite in the airspace they all got out there
game-boys and played Mariocart :) Wouldn't of guessed, but they were all a bunch of kids up there :badsmile:
To this day I have a lot of respect to Air Traffic Controllers and the responsibilities they under go to keep our skies safe.
Going on to my 2nd week with maintenance engineers I had a blast of a time.
Always a learning curve when I was there and learning the basics of such as how the brakes work on an airplane how the elevators work
etc. They worked on a variety of aircraft from C152, C172, Piper Warrior, Piper Cherokee and many more.
I put some panels on the wing and screwed the whole plane back up and cleaned up on some spark plugs and replaced the brakes.
Hopefully the aircraft's that I was working on are still flying today :badsmile: While going through there routine inspections with the aircraft they
took me up flying in the C152, and the Piper to perform the checks. Wanted to stay up there forever. Must have been the best 2 weeks of my life :)

@Apache the RAF has always appeals to me very much. It was sometime ago when I asked questions on becoming a freight pilot
in the RAF to you, but the issue with me was I don't have 20/20 vision and have to correct my eyes with contacts.
I went to careers recruitment center regarding about this and they say if you meet the grades you can apply. They didn't really know
if I needed 20/20 vision for a freight pilot, but my guesses think I do.
I'm off university next year to hopefully study either Aerospace Engineering or Aeronautical Engineering, as this field really interests me
a lot and while I'm there I can apply to the University Air Squadron which will sponsor you with your flying.
Obviously there is a lot of people applying so they only want the best going through it. Thinking ahead of that I want to apply to CTC wings and apply
on the cadet pilot scheme or go modular. RAF will be one of my main area I'm interested in, but still need answers off them regarding eyesight.
Still got a lot of thinking about this as I need to set my options out clear, but Ive still got some years to to decide. Just need to keep
cracking away at my study's for now and hopefully I'll be alright.

I have a part time Job packing boxes and loading and unloading lorry's, which isn't the most excited job in the world, but I get the
money I need, so I can save up. As a typical 18 year old I end up ticking all of those boxes that Tim has mentioned unfortunately,
but if you have a goal in mind and you set to achieve it, you'll sacrifice anything. Unfortunately life seems to revolve round money, so saving is a
very important remedy.
So hearing other people story's on flying always puts a smile on face, and makes appreciate what they do or have done.
Didn't mean to write so much, so hope I haven't given you square eyes :)

If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport. :)

Author: gbapache      1735 Posts  Status: Living Legend    Date    06-09-12 00:32

@SQN, Keeping in mind that I'm an old fart from America but if eyesight becomes the problem then you might want to think about being
an enlisted crewmember on some aircraft. My first job in the Army was as a crechief on CH-47D. I loved that job and felt completly
happy. All military aircraft require at least one crewchief, and the big fixed wingers use as many as 5 or 6 for the mission.
:)

Author: Recon      841 Posts  Status: Forum Moderator    Date    06-09-12 01:17

Gbapache knows what he is talking about.
It's a good advice.

don't mind my English,....I'm Dutch :)

Please use the search function or read the FAQ

Author: 969SQN  Www     197 Posts  Status: Exceptional Pilot    Date    06-11-12 00:11

The RAF will definitely be a big consideration for me and I'll look into more about being a crew member and the duty's on-board. Nice piece of
advice there Gbapache :)

Author: whiskey-zulu      1971 Posts  Status: Forum Moderator    Date    06-11-12 02:17

Have you ever considered lazer eye surgery 969? I had it done nearly 8 months ago to meet the requirements of a local law enforcement body here in
the UK, who are extremely strict when it comes to eyesight requirements. From the reading around I've done, any RAF Pilot applicant must meet 20/20
or 6/6 vision unaided. However, being long sighted (having trouble reading at near) seems to be accepted with corrective lenses.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=16941554

However, joining in any other role (within reason), according to the RAF's own website, they will take anyone with upto -7 Dioptres with corrected vision.

Please use the 'search' function on the forum and check the FAQ
Forum Rules: http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/forumsrules.php
2 Pages: 12  return to threads list 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.