FsPassengers Forums
[Closed] Realistic Failure rate - Question for you mechanics out there - Printable Version

+- FsPassengers Forums (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: FsPassengers (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: FsPassengers Customizing (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: [Closed] Realistic Failure rate - Question for you mechanics out there (/showthread.php?tid=9820)

[Closed] Realistic Failure rate - Question for you mechanics out there - jbt308 - 21-09-2005

Was wondering if any of you armchair aircraft mechanics out there know what the realistic failure rate of aircraft is? For an
airplane that is
regularly maintained.

Thanks

Re: Realistic Failure rate - Question for you mechanics out there - SWAFO - 21-09-2005

It VARIES TREMENDOUSLY! Failures are EXTREMELY rare in modern aviation (especially in country's/company's that maintain their
aircraft very well). Unfortunately there isn't going to be a "realistic failure rate" we can give you. It would be EXTREMELY LOW (like
0.001%), and if you wanted to implement that in FSP you'd hardly ever get a failure. Much more fun to set a 3-10% failure rate, and
actually deal with failures. It's a simulator after all!

In the real world, I prefer everything to go smoothly with no issues. In the simulated world, I actually like failures Smile

Re: Realistic Failure rate - Question for you mechanics out there - jbt308 - 22-09-2005

Hehe, roger that. And all of us that are passengers would prefer it that way.

To keep it interesting, I think I'll bump up failures to 8%. I'll pretend I'm doing the maintence myself, not someone who know's what they're doing.

Thanks

Re: Realistic Failure rate - Question for you mechanics out there - Fritz Bayerlein - 22-09-2005

5% works just fine for me. I've gotten about 10 failures in 60 flights with that setting so far, in two airlines.

Re: Realistic Failure rate - Question for you mechanics out there - AndrePaul - 22-09-2005

c'mon, test ur skills, turn up the failure rate some more, see how gd u are at handling failures, my rate is at 25%

Re: Realistic Failure rate - Question for you mechanics out there - jboweruk - 22-09-2005

Is it possible to set as low a failure rate as .001%? If so then I would like to as I like it as real as possible. And 1% is like 100 times what
it should be.

Re: Realistic Failure rate - Question for you mechanics out there - Jetflyer - 22-09-2005

5% is fine for me two. I have had two landing gear failures and an engine failure in 75 flights.

Re: Realistic Failure rate - Question for you mechanics out there - FPEMiller - 05-10-2005

I agree with all that is said, failures are rare considering the number of flights/passengers that travel every day.

However, that being said, I monitor the ARFF/Security frequencies at KLAS. It surprises me how often the trucks roll for a "failure'" (such as we are discussing here) on a regular bases. Yesterday was a blown right-rear inside tire on an inbound private corporate jet. Today it was an inbound AWE B757 reporting flap troubles. Last week there was an inbound Airbus (A320 I think) reporting hydraulic problems. A few weeks ago I remember an SWA B737 flight making an emergency landing for "sudden depressurization" durning a flight. And we all should remember the JetBlue Airbus flight last week with the front landing gear turned 90 degrees.....Live TV coverage as the pilot landed and skidded the front gear right down the center line.

Do we (the public) hear about all these.??? No. I believe that the main reason these "failures" are not highly publizied is due to the pilot skills (and back up systems) of the aircraft. All of the incidents listed above were successful landings and the big trucks were not allowed to play with their water and foam.

Anyway... Back to the orginal question, what is average? KLAS has just about 500 scheduled flights a day. One failure for one day is 1:500 or 0.2% chance of a failure. And there is not a failure every day. It probably averages out to about 1 a week if I had to guess.

Regards
MK

Next Day: COA Flight #14 B764 from PHNL to Newark made an unscheduled landing at KLAS early this morning for a medical emergency.

Post Edited ( 10-06-05 02:12 )

Re: Realistic Failure rate - Question for you mechanics out there - Eagle737 - 06-10-2005

Rates are very low for serious issues...

minor stuff however happens ALL THE TIME... NON STOP... EVERYDAY (more than you would imagine).... but its minor minor stuff.... MEL items....
granted if you fly or fly on an Avro... or BAe-146..... just count on being XLD for MX and your passengers Ruled
120.20 over to other carriers (which btw, makes the other carriers very very happy)..

as they all say... BAe = Bring Another Engine

-Chris

Re: Realistic Failure rate - Question for you mechanics out there - SWAFO - 06-10-2005

Exactly!

Re: Realistic Failure rate - Question for you mechanics out there - jboweruk - 06-10-2005

Quote:Eagle737 wrote:
Rates are very low for serious issues...

minor stuff however happens ALL THE TIME... NON STOP... EVERYDAY (more than you would imagine).... but its minor minor stuff....
MEL items....
granted if you fly or fly on an Avro... or BAe-146..... just count on being XLD for MX and your passengers Ruled
120.20 over to other carriers (which btw, makes the other carriers very very happy)..

as they all say... BAe = Bring Another Engine

-Chris

That's interesting you say that about the BAE 146's, as they go in/out of my local airport all the time, and I've never heard of them having
serious issues, most other airliners I've seen have issues but not heard of any on the 146/Avro RJ. They always seem a pretty decent
plane.

Re: Realistic Failure rate - Question for you mechanics out there - Eagle737 - 06-10-2005

I work for an airline that has "relations" with a carrier that has the ARJ-85... that plane is almost always late for unsched. MX or is being XLD for
mx... and while not an everyday thing.. it is certainly much more common than any other aircraft in the fleet... its to the point that most pilots
make fun of it here... and most cities don't want it to come in... would rather have the CRJ for reliability reasons... 'cause with the Avro... you
can almost always to expect to rebook people when they XLD the flight....

-Chris

Re: Realistic Failure rate - Question for you mechanics out there - af4ever - 06-10-2005

I had a flaps failure with FSP one time, it was quiet fun Wink