FsPassengers Forums
[VOTE NOW] Question Regarding Flight Logs - Printable Version

+- FsPassengers Forums (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: FsPassengers (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: FsPassengers General (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: [VOTE NOW] Question Regarding Flight Logs (/showthread.php?tid=243)

Pages: 1 2

[VOTE NOW] Question Regarding Flight Logs - clut - 29-06-2005

It seems I've found a new addiction of browsing through the flight logs submitted by the beta testers, and whilst
reading through some of
these logsI thought of a question...

I generally read the Average, poor, and very poor logs, because you know they'll have something interesing, but I
wondered if there was
anywhere that the pilot could file his (or her) version of events.

For example, a flight log could mention an in flight emergency, and a failure to reach the destination, but the pilots
report (which we write
ourselfs) could give more detail, such as:

Started losing power in the left engine 80 miles from desitination. We reduced power but 50 miles out we lost the
engine completely.
Redirected to closest airfeld and made a safe landing.

The automatic flight logs are great, but somtimes they don't give enough information. You could have two flights,
both with the same
emergency, but one could happen while on final and it's still an easy landing, while one could happen over a
moutain range and you
have to find an alternate landing strip. A pilots report could detail this.

I would imagine, whenever something goes wrong in a real plane, the captain in required to fill out a report of the
incident!!

just a thought, maybe something to include in a future update. It would make the flight logs even more interesting
to see the pilots
account.

Re: Question Regarding Flight Logs - DanSteph - 29-06-2005

I would say that's an EXCELLENT idea.... somes people would love this idea.

howewer I see immediately one big problem: the size of the database.
for performance and update concern the size of each record (flight) is fixed
Allowing the "comment feature" would need that I reserve at least 250 byte
for each record... (and this would allow only 250 characters)

most of the time they will be empty and wasted (not all people may want to add comments)

let's see... 250 byte*200 flight= 50Ko
250 byte*1000 flight= 2.5MB

Another problem is that it would broke all the database of the beta tester
because I don't have 250 byte reserve yet in each record...

Howewer if somes peoples find this idea cool I would say
" VOTE FOR THIS FEATURE [b]NOW"[/b]
If there is somes intterest in this thread for this idea, I might consider adding it.
After final release it would be too late, the database would not have sufficient byte
reserve.

Dan

Post Edited ( 06-29-05 15:43 )

Re: [VOTE NOW] Question Regarding Flight Logs - jboweruk - 29-06-2005

For my point I'm easy. I'll live with whatever everybody else votes for. But if the option is to leave it blank then I'd say okay go for it, that way
we will have a choice.

Re: [VOTE NOW] Question Regarding Flight Logs - Chris B. - 29-06-2005

Although I like the thought of typing down concise details about the incident I don't see it that necessary. I figure it won't change your
penalty points so you can argue that you did the best effort for a given scenario but it won't better your 'grade', right? I understand it's only
for the user to review at a later date and for personal satisfaction right?

Anyway, can't wait to try this FSpassengers baby out!! Woo Hoo!

Chris

Re: [VOTE NOW] Question Regarding Flight Logs - DBE - 29-06-2005

Don't want to sound like a "techie", but as fspassengers uses an SQL DB, why not create a new table for comments?

This way, the comment table would only be filled "on-demand" and linked to the main log record.

Re: [VOTE NOW] Question Regarding Flight Logs - clut - 29-06-2005

I agree with DBE, If you could create a seperate table with a foreign key linking entries back to the flights table then you won't need to
waste 250 bytes on every single flight.

Re: [VOTE NOW] Question Regarding Flight Logs - DanSteph - 29-06-2005

Quote:DBE wrote:
Don't want to sound like a "techie", but as fspassengers uses an SQL DB, why not create a new table for comments?
This way, the comment table would only be filled "on-demand" and linked to the main log record.

FsPassengers is not an "online" program at first and it don't use a SQL db internally
"export" feature to SQL is only an adtionnal feature but your flight and all data are stored in
files on your disk when you record a flight.

But I see what you mean and I thought about that already, a new files that would contain only
comments... My main concern is that I preffer to avoid big rework on the database at 10 day
from the release, for now it's proof and solid....

I must see that, this feature may be added after the release finally...

Dan

Re: [VOTE NOW] Question Regarding Flight Logs - LukeJGerst - 29-06-2005

I say it looks like a very good idea, so look at the pros and cons.....

Pros: Allows for pilots to record and avoid causes of crashes and poor flights in the future.
Lets pilots show their PAX it wasn't their fault. Wink

Cons: Will increase file size.
Will be difficult to add after release, and will slow down the first release.

Any other views on this point?

ok, Dan's got a very good point with the fact that FSP is not an online program.

How about storing pilot reports as text files, or something similar which get read when the user looks back on his own flights. (locally, not
on the internet.)

Re: [VOTE NOW] Question Regarding Flight Logs - fruitfly - 29-06-2005

Let's face it; the reports we are interested to keep in are those of INTERESTING (or should I say dangerous/ almost lethal/lucky..) flights.
So if there is a button 'KEEP DETAILED' and 'KEEP BASIC' report, I believe the greatest objection to this idea (size of the reports) will be ....
.. bypassed, so to say. Smile

I agree, it's a great idea. I still remember when I was on my RTW tour in fs2k2 with dc9, I broke my landing gear when landing at El
Alto(14000ft AGL). So I had to take a loan (it was FSMaintenance) I had to return within the next 5 flights, but had only the ocean in front of
me.............

You see... I still remember all the details! Wink

FSMaintenance was fantastic, I loved that program and was really dissapointed when they said they would not be developing it for
FS2004. At least FSP is here now, and is looking even better than FSM was.

I think the size issue Dan was referring to was that he'd have to allocate space to store a report for each flight, and whether we used that
space or not would not make a difference, the space would still be allocated.

I think, if we can submit a pilots report just locally, it will enhance the feeling of being part of an official company, making it more real.

Re: [VOTE NOW] Question Regarding Flight Logs - SWAFO - 29-06-2005

I think FSP is fine how it is now. I would only support a "user-input allowed flight log" if the user input had a final outcome on events.
Which, I don't think is possible. For instance, if I had an excuse for a rough landing, and it was worded correctly, I shouldn't be as
penalized on my pilot rating. The system I'm suggesting would be very difficult, if not impossible to implement, so I vote to keep it the way
it is!

Re: [VOTE NOW] Question Regarding Flight Logs - Deacon - 29-06-2005

Agree with Brad....

This is totally subjective. It is only for the benefit of the pilot who reads it, or a VA admin/ops officer who reads it and takes it into account
when critiqueing a pilots flight. It would NOT interact with the current algorithms generating the penalty points as it stands right now (sorry to
speak like a techie, too).

Therefore, I believe this functionality is better served by the user VA setting up and extension to the submit form on his website, which would
include a memo field for just this sort of explanation. Anything that would accumulate within the internal, client-side, databases, would not, IMHO,
be worth the space and would cause additional time for Dan to program the interface to allow an enterable text field for this.

YMMV....

Re: [VOTE NOW] Question Regarding Flight Logs - SWAFO - 29-06-2005

Thanks for backing me up Bart! lol.

Re: [VOTE NOW] Question Regarding Flight Logs - DanSteph - 29-06-2005

Quote:clut wrote:
ok, Dan's got a very good point with the fact that FSP is not an online program.
How about storing pilot reports as text files, or something similar which get read when the user looks back on his own flights. (locally, not
on the internet.)

Sorry if I'm mistaken on this but it seem to me you
assume that we can only see online report and not locally ?

in this case perhaps you missed that the flights reports are
the heart of FsPassengers and of course you can see any of them offline...
(until you reach 1 millions flights wich is the database limit)

here a screenshots (only the top of the report):

[Image: 05_06_cruisedata2.jpg]

see screenshots section for more...
You can also print them in the above dialog, and every time you look at a report
FsP write a file in FsPassengers directory in RTF format... so you can send the report
also to anyone

Dan

Post Edited ( 06-29-05 21:48 )