FsPassengers Forums
Overspeed penalty - Printable Version

+- FsPassengers Forums (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: FsPassengers (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: FsPassengers Support (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Overspeed penalty (/showthread.php?tid=19123)

Overspeed penalty - Lissart - 13-08-2021

Afternoon All.

I have just discovered FSP, using it with FS2004.  I should like clarification on the Overspeed Penalty criteria.  (I have done a search and while this seems to cause quite a bit of grief, I remain unconvinced by some of the offered ideas.  Note: I do know that one can turn it off in the more options .cfg .)

Vne = "Barber pole" = "Red line" = "Never Exceed" is an INDICATE airspeed.  The a/c I have been using (Flight1 Cessna Conquest) correctly models a decrease in Vne IAS with increasing altitude.  The aircraft.cfg speed section states the following:

1/.  max_indicated_speed = 245  //knots true (KTAS)  
2/.  max_mach = 0.55  //Knots true (KTAS)

The first can't be both "indicated" and "knots true" can it?!!

I consistently get these penalties when flying nowhere near Vne (INDICATED!!!)  
A recent effort had the following parameters:

IAS = 180kts
FL300
-32C

This gives @ TAS of 296kts and MACH .489

Question: What speed, found from where, does FSP use to assign these penalties?  If FSP is erroneously using max_indicated_speed not infact as the INDICATED speed but as True Airspeed then in my recent flight the 296kts TAS was well over 245kts clearly.  But still substantially below max_mach of 0.55.  The primary source of air speed information for pilots to ascertain if they are in danger of exceeding Vne is always going to be the barber pole.  FSP should not be dishing out a penalty if staying clear of it!  Right......?

Regards,

Lissart

PS:  No issues in this instance of lack of wind smoothing or something....

RE: Overspeed penalty - Joeflyer - 13-08-2021

(13-08-2021, 03:10 PM)Lissart Wrote: Afternoon All.

I have just discovered FSP, using it with FS2004.  I should like clarification on the Overspeed Penalty criteria.  (I have done a search and while this seems to cause quite a bit of grief, I remain unconvinced by some of the offered ideas.  Note: I do know that one can turn it off in the more options .cfg .)

Vne = "Barber pole" = "Red line" = "Never Exceed" is an INDICATE airspeed.  The a/c I have been using (Flight1 Cessna Conquest) correctly models a decrease in Vne IAS with increasing altitude.  The aircraft.cfg speed section states the following:

1/.  max_indicated_speed = 245  //knots true (KTAS)  
2/.  max_mach = 0.55  //Knots true (KTAS)

The first can't be both "indicated" and "knots true" can it?!!

I consistently get these penalties when flying nowhere near Vne (INDICATED!!!)  
A recent effort had the following parameters:

IAS = 180kts
FL300
-32C

This gives @ TAS of 296kts and MACH .489

Question: What speed, found from where, does FSP use to assign these penalties?  If FSP is erroneously using max_indicated_speed not infact as the INDICATED speed but as True Airspeed then in my recent flight the 296kts TAS was well over 245kts clearly.  But still substantially below max_mach of 0.55.  The primary source of air speed information for pilots to ascertain if they are in danger of exceeding Vne is always going to be the barber pole.  FSP should not be dishing out a penalty if staying clear of it!  Right......?

Regards,

Lissart

PS:  No issues in this instance of lack of wind smoothing or something....

Good points you made. The penalty is suppose to come from indicated airspeed and is hard coded by Dan. The only times I had the issue with overspeed penalties with Fs9 was before there was the ability to smooth out the drastic wind shifts...with any addon aircraft in particular. But, if I read your message correctly, you don't have the issue of drastic wind shifts....via FSUIPC I presume?
So, if this isn't the issue, the only thing I can suggest is editing the aircraft.cfg for the Conquest and bump up the max indicated airspeed to 400 or so. The issue will certainly go away.

RE: Overspeed penalty - Lissart - 13-08-2021

Thanks Joe.  Yes, FSUIPC.  I mean the winds are not static but nothing at all drastic and the IAS needle never got close to the pole.  I'm encouraged to hear that FSP overspeed penalties come from the indicated air speed.  This is the way it should be.  I had considered playing with the max_indicated_speed value to see what happens but as that value is correct for the a/c in question, that seemed like a rather simplistic approach.  I may as well just disable the penalty in the more_options cfg.  I sense some sort of confusion between IAS and TAS going on somewhere, which is the basis for my question.....

L

RE: Overspeed penalty - Joeflyer - 14-08-2021

I'm curious. Does the overspeed happen only with the Conquest? Or, does it happen with any aircraft used? Also, what value in FSUIPC did you use for wind smoothing?

RE: Overspeed penalty - Lissart - 14-08-2021

Joe,
Don't fly much else at the moment.  If I recall I'd say no, only with the C441.  As to FSUIPC settings, I'll check (away for a bit...) when I can and confirm.  It would have had to have been a micro transitory event this overspeed for me not to have seen it, so far from the barber pole was I.  Also, stable air mass, no gusts, no windshear etc.

RE: Overspeed penalty - Joeflyer - 16-08-2021

I did a search regarding the C441 and FS9. I had forgotten that I had the 441 years ago, but never had the overspeed issue. It doesn't appear others had this problem either. At any rate, you can adjust the max indicated airspeed or disable the overspeed penalty when using the 441. Apparently that is the best advice I can give at the moment.

RE: Overspeed penalty - mothying - 14-12-2021

google

RE: Overspeed penalty - Joeflyer - 14-12-2021

(14-12-2021, 10:11 AM)mothying Wrote: google

What about it? Your first post is a google link? Seriously?