FsPassengers Forums
Issues with FsPassengers and FlyInside - Printable Version

+- FsPassengers Forums (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: FsPassengers (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: FsPassengers Support (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Issues with FsPassengers and FlyInside (/showthread.php?tid=18025)

Issues with FsPassengers and FlyInside - aurel - 13-02-2017

Hi,

I fly in VR using FlyInside and love FsPassengers for the ambience it provides. I do have a few issues controlling it during a flight, though.
  • FlyInside does some Black Magick to put FSX/P3D into VR, one of the tricks it uses is opening the main sim window with certain dimensions that cannot be changed. I can use the sim menus from inside VR, but to do that I have to "jump" out of the cockpit into a virtual desktop (pausing the sim). The mouse "emulation" of FlyInside can't open all levels of the nested menus, because the sim window is too narrow.
    That means I can control the seat belt sign, but not the services. To have drinks or food served, I actually need to find and grab the mouse. It's possible, but not comfortable and quite an immersion breaker.

• As I can't see my keyboard, it's not very comfortable to use the keyboard shortcuts directly. My usual solution is VoiceAttack, but for some reason, while I can control the sim fine using VoiceAttack, the key presses meant for FsPassengers just don't register.

• When using FlyInside, for unknown reasons the command buttons in the small info window don't work, neither from within the cockpit, nor on the virtual desktop but also not on the "real" desktop. FlyInside automatically undocks all windows opened in the sim, puts them on the desktop and "imports" them into the virtual cockpit as floating windows. Perhaps that process disables those buttons somehow?

My preferred solution would be VoiceAttack. Anybody got an idea why the key presses VoiceAttack sends to the sim are not received by FsPassengers?

Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers,
Marc

RE: Issues with FsPassengers and FlyInside - Joeflyer - 13-02-2017

One of these days I will try out VR but will likely do so after I have a new system built. Looks interesting though.
As far as your concerns go, I don't have a clear cut resolution for you since you are using voice commands instead
of keyboard. The only suggestion I can make is access the FsP menu with your mouse and make a selection there.
Frankly I don't know how many people use voice command software but it could be feasible to have some key conflicts.
Have you made sure there are no conflicts at all?

RE: Issues with FsPassengers and FlyInside - aurel - 13-02-2017

(13-02-2017, 03:23 PM)Joeflyer Wrote: One of these days I will try out VR but will likely do so after I have a new system built. Looks interesting though.

Hello Joe, this ^

VR needs quite a beefy system (and/or low eye candy settings) and the current first generation of consumer headsets has quite a few of drawbacks (low resolution, narrow field of view, imperfect optics).  So unless you're really desperate to experience VR (which I have been since the 80's or so), you might want to hold out for the 2nd generation.  That being said, I so enjoy flying GA in VR in spite of those issues that I have hardly touched any other game since I discovered FlyInside.  For me, the immersion is just mindblowing and I can't imagine going back to sitting in front of the cockpit instead of inside.

Quote:As far as your concerns go, I don't have a clear cut resolution for you since you are using voice commands instead
of keyboard. The only suggestion I can make is access the FsP menu with your mouse and make a selection there.
Frankly I don't know how many people use voice command software but it could be feasible to have some key conflicts.
Have you made sure there are no conflicts at all?

To make sure it's not an issue with keys having multiple assignments (in the sim or in other addons), I deleted all assignments to CTRL+Shift+[1-9] (they were assigned to combat/targeting functions that I don't use anyway) in P3D and assigned those keys in FsPassengers and VoiceAttack, but it didn't help.  I will test tonight whether it works with a single keystroke without modifiers – perhaps it's the CTRL+Shift that causes the issue.

The quickest way for me to control FsPassengers now is to jump out of the Virtual Cockpit into FlyInside's menu/settings thing and use its representation of the sim menu.  There are some issues with that — it appears as if this menu is not updated the same way that the actual sim menu is, so I can still activate "greyed out" options and instead of getting an option to stop the elevator music, I have to select the same song again to make it stop.  But it's definitely workable.

Still, I would prefer voice commands if I can get them to work.  Being able to stay in the cockpit helps keeping the immersion up.

Unrelated: I mainly fly on FSEconomy, and I think it's a great feature to be able to turn off the Career/Economic stuff in FsPassengers. Thanks to that, I can keep flying in FSE (which does only very limited checking of the actual flight, basically it cares about departure, destination and fuel and that's about it), while FsPassengers delivers immersion, ambience, failures and the educational debrief. The combination of FSE and FsPassengers just hits all the spots for me.

There's one missing feature I'd love to see: I would like to be able to have crew onboard IF I reserve the seats for them. Perhaps that feature is already in FsPassengers and I don't get how to use it. What I mean is that, when flying a light aircraft, I would like to be able to decide in the "Start a flight" window whether I use the copilot seat for the copilot or for an additional passenger (no copilot = no calls) or whether to reserve a cabin seat for the flight attendent (no seat reserved = no flight attendant = no announcements, no service).

Cheers,
Marc

RE: Issues with FsPassengers and FlyInside - aurel - 14-02-2017

Update: I tested with single key strokes (without modifiers), but that didn't work either. Then I realized that I had half a dozen unused switches on my new throttle quadrant, assigned them to key strokes using FSUIPC and now I have no more issues controlling FsPassengers from inside the VC. (insert facepalm emote here)

FsPassengers modifies the realism settings when a flight is started, correct? Can this behaviour be disabled? One of the issues I have with this is that it turns on the "G-Forces" switch, which isn't currently supported by FlyInside. (I don't know why, but when I enable that setting before starting the sim, FlyInside will open a modal dialog explaining that the setting isn't available at the moment and needs to be turned off for FlyInside to start.)

I do have another significant problem, but I want to look into it a bit more to be sure it's related to FsPassengers. — DISREGARD, it isn't!