FsPassengers Forums
good question? - Printable Version

+- FsPassengers Forums (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Real World Aviation (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: good question? (/showthread.php?tid=16036)

good question? - Turbine - 12-01-2006

I was traveling to Newark from KLAX I ran into a pilot thats with Continental airlines. One of the questions I asked him was when you fill out a
pilot application is it really a big deal to have a impressive job history? I heard some people say they just look at your past aviation career
either its being a instructer for a certain amount of years or something else to do with aviation either its past military experience working around
aviation etc. Another question that I have is as for mistermedors driving violations in the past is it true that they will only go back a certain
amount of years to check that during the backround check? They say they go back 10-12 years as for your driving record and criminal records I also
heard they do FBI checks and they go all the way back like your applying for the CIA.... Am I overreacting??? If anybody can give me some advice I
would appreciate it. By the way is it true from all the Boeing aircraft in real life you can see the wings and the engines from the pilot seat???
Thanks for your time....

Re: good question? - ivo - 12-01-2006

I 100% sure that you can't see the engines on all the boeing aircraft. I don't think you can see it on any Boeings. I also don't think that the
FBI go back 10-12 years to see if you have driving violations. They might go back a couple of years, and also look at your criminla record
and if you have ever done time. I'm not sure about this, but they might be right.

Re: good question? - KenG - 13-01-2006

On the application there are two things that HR generally looks for, one do you have their insurance minimum hours and two what are the quality of the
flight hours that you do have. Also if you have a letter of recommendation from a current Captain in the airline then this will open some doors for
you. However the bottom line hiring decision will rest with the room with a Senior Captain and a HR person going through a set of questions to
determine if you would make a good pilot for their company. After this if you pass you can expect to be asked to fly a simulator. Often this simulator
flight will be in an aircraft in which you do not have any experience in and may in fact be an aircraft for which the airline does not even own. (One
express company was notorious for running there sim in a 707.) On this flight use any numbers they provide. Use you co-pilot, be an excellent co when
it is your turn and never volunteer to do a maneuver not being requested of you. If things are going downhill remember missed approaches show maturity
in making decisions. However making too many missed approaches shows in-maturity when flying. All of the little things you learned over the years, it
is time to do them all. An approach briefing given well may make the hiring difference. This is also no time to pull something new out of the bag. If
you have always slipped an airplane on crosswind landing this is not the time to learn the crab and kick.

One of the quickest ways to NOT get hired is being dishonest with your future employer. If you are looking for a pilots seat then you need to disclose
everything and be prepared to fully discuss it with HR. Driving records, criminal records, ect are all public record and can be found by a reputable
criminal history search. Some airlines will even pull your credit report. Do you really want to be in the position of saying that you do not have a
record for the HR person to then bring up something.

Finally prepare yourself for walking out of interviews thinking it is “in the bag” and then not getting called back. Don’t set your sights on one
airline; apply to every airline that will accept your application. Network with everyone, no telling one day when that person can help you, I once
knew a retired pilot that I met online, his wife was the chief of HR with United. A pity at that time I did not have the minimum insurance hours to
apply for United. Finally look for those step-up jobs that will open the golden door to the majors. Be prepared to work for peanuts and hauling cargo
in normally aspirated twins. Never let a company push you into flying unprofessionally. You will never be hired if the FAA suspends your tickets.

Believe me, I have done my “get hired by the airlines” homework. Most of the advice above is not mine, but others, some of whom are Senior Captains
today, interviewing potential pilots.

Re: good question? - Turbine - 13-01-2006

Thankyou KenG thats some great advice. I will remember that. Thankyou for your time... Fly safe