FsPassengers Forums
For the love of god, teach me how to land - Printable Version

+- FsPassengers Forums (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Flight Simulators (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: FS2004 General (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: For the love of god, teach me how to land (/showthread.php?tid=15992)

For the love of god, teach me how to land - tyranius - 02-01-2012

No matter what I do, no matter what or how hard I try, I can never get landing right. I ALWAYS end up not getting low enough and then having
to keep on flying and circling around for another try or not being able to line up properly and then having to circle around endlessly.

Please, tell me how you guys do it.

Re: For the love of god, teach me how to land - timtomairways - 02-01-2012

have you tried the Flying lesson inside flight simulator.
they have thire own page in the main menue of FS9. but are in the learning center of FSX (top right tab)

The flying lessons are in the C172 and are privet up to ATP. Rod Machato can dephintly teach you, thats where i started in FS

also dont forget the tutorials if you in FSX

Re: For the love of god, teach me how to land - tyranius - 02-01-2012

Sorry for not being specific. I'm using FS2004. I just tried to land a Learjet with ATC guiding me through, I managed to reach a normal
touchdown but then the plane flipped and crashed. My main problem is not being able to measure how high I really am, which leads me to
overshoot the runways..

Somebody out there mentioned something about a glideslope? I'm sorry, but flying is really new for me (first time with a flight simulator).

Re: For the love of god, teach me how to land - whiskey-zulu - 02-01-2012

The VASI lights on the side of the runway: two red, two white = right height; all white, no red, too high; all red, no white, too low. Remember that
flaps, slats, spoilers/ speed brakes and speed all come in handy; you'll need to make sure that in order to get the right height, you get the right
speed and flaps settings.

As Tim has said, go through the Tutorials available on FS9, also you can look at the maps on FS9 and double click on the destination airport and get
all the info you need about elevation, radio freqs etc.

Re: For the love of god, teach me how to land - Joeflyer - 02-01-2012

Food for thought..."From high to low, hot to cold, look out below" Big Grin

Re: For the love of god, teach me how to land - gbapache - 02-01-2012

White high Red you're dead

Post Edited ( 01-02-12 17:20 )

Re: For the love of god, teach me how to land - timtomairways - 02-01-2012

I would sudgest going throue the flying lessons in flight simulator. they are a good start. but scip the checkrides in them. ive found them to be way to
sensitive for me.

that will get you started. plus dont forget to practice in free flight. get you a cessna, the flight school scanerio is great in FSp.

Re: For the love of god, teach me how to land - iflyfsx - 07-01-2012

Also, SHIFT-Z will give you information about your altitude, speed, and so on.

Re: For the love of god, teach me how to land - mnmon - 10-01-2012

The best advice I had back in the old days from my instructor when I was actually flying a real plane, was to "look down the runway" .
That is, concentrate on the far end of the runway, not what's 50 ft in front of you. You can judge your reltaive height by doing so. Amazingly
enough, it works well even in FS despite the lack of a 3rd dimension.

Once he gave me that hint, I started getting the landings. Previously, the guy in the tower would keep repeating over the radio.."Cleared
to land!" every time I bounced. Funny Guy!

Re: For the love of god, teach me how to land - timtomairways - 10-01-2012

Quote:mnmon wrote:
The best advice I had back in the old days from my instructor when I was actually flying a real plane, was to "look down the runway" .
That is, concentrate on the far end of the runway, not what's 50 ft in front of you. You can judge your reltaive height by doing so. Amazingly
enough, it works well even in FS despite the lack of a 3rd dimension.

Once he gave me that hint, I started getting the landings. Previously, the guy in the tower would keep repeating over the radio.."Cleared
to land!" every time I bounced. Funny Guy!

My instructor gave me the same adivce. it really works. but the controllers at CRG never did anything to funny. thoues guys are pros and they show it.

The funniest thing ive heard was a funny ATIS from one. and Tower saying *N12345 (dont remember the callsign) Join the party. Enter right
downwind runway 32, your following a cessna." or something simller. sayed it when there where about 6 or 7 planes comming in while i was in the
pattern.

Re: For the love of god, teach me how to land - poden - 11-01-2012

You need to just take a plane up and do touch and gos, just like flight students in the real world. Get into the airport traffic loop, request a
touch-and-go, touch, go airborne, go around, touch again, etc. Then, when you finally land it, get you speed down quickly so you don't end up flipping
over. Practice, practice, practice, just like RW pilots.

Beer

Re: For the love of god, teach me how to land - Mako - 14-01-2012

Quote:poden wrote:
You need to just take a plane up and do touch and gos, just like flight students in the real world. Get into the airport traffic loop, request a
touch-and-go, touch, go airborne, go around, touch again, etc. Then, when you finally land it, get you speed down quickly so you don't end up flipping
over. Practice, practice, practice, just like RW pilots.

Beer

That's great advice for learning how to land, and everyone should follow it before trying to do anything else or using an addon.

Post Edited ( 01-14-12 23:50 )