FsPassengers Forums
How to populate Kai Tak? - Printable Version

+- FsPassengers Forums (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Flight Simulators (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: FS2004 General (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: How to populate Kai Tak? (/showthread.php?tid=15929)

Pages: 1 2

How to populate Kai Tak? - TristenEugene - 01-02-2010

Hello all. How do I populate Kai Tak? I have this pretty good scenery from Fly Tampa but aircraft do not go into/out of the airport. I know it
is closed and all that jazz. There has to be a way to ''re-open this airport?! How can I do it? I know you good folks here have the secret.
Even if I have to 'close' Chek lap kok to do it, I want Kai Tak going!

''You don't hit anything with the aircraft except the runway! Even then, with your gear down and l i g h t l y!!!'

Post Edited ( 02-02-10 01:20 )

Re: How to pupulate Kai Tak? - Leftcoaster - 01-02-2010

You need to edit the traffic files that you are using. Go to some place like Project AI and there is probably somebody there that can help
with your specific issue. There are maybe even downloads that fix this out there somewhere.

http://www.projectai.com/forums/

I have had some success editing AI traffic but have also made a hash of it on occasion. Perhaps best to go to the people who do it as a
matter of course.

Good Luck

Re: How to pupulate Kai Tak? - DSW334 - 01-02-2010

You have to indeed decompile your traffic file and change VHHX into VHHH.. Or was it the other way around..

Re: How to populate Kai Tak? - TristenEugene - 02-02-2010

Ok then. I will mess with it a little more. BTW. I have Ttools and a kai tak traffic file by Derek Kung.
I run the compile thing but no traffic shows up. DSW334 said something about changing the airport I.d. from one airport to the other?!
anyone else on this?

Re: How to populate Kai Tak? - Leftcoaster - 02-02-2010

If you have Traffic Tools moving the traffic from Chek Lap Kok to Kai Tak should be pretty straight forward, last week I successfully moved
all the classic AI traffic from GOOY Dakar (now supressed) to GORF Eknes Army Airfield (an addon WW2 era airfield). Have used my file
names as examples, yours may vary of course.

Determine what ICAO codes are used, for example in mine Kai Tak is VHHX and Chek Lap Kok (deleted) is VHHH
-Backup your original traffic file and move it somewhere safe (I just rename it org_traffic_1957.bgl);
-Using TT decompile the traffic file;
-Using Notepad open the Airports.txt file and add VHHX NXX*XX.XXX EYYY*YY.YYY (Latitude and longitude of airport from a flight planner
or AFCAD etc.)
-Save
-Using Notepad open FlightPlans.txt file
Use replace function to replace VHHH in all instances with VHHX
-Save
-Use TT to recompile the traffic.bgl
-Start FS9, your AI traffic should now use Kai Tak

If not, delete the edited traffic.bgl and resore the original and no harm should be done.

Good Luck

Re: How to populate Kai Tak? - TristenEugene - 02-02-2010

Thanks Leftcoaster. I am definately missing something though. No traffic shows up at Kai Tak. What I did so far is: Change the
designators in the FS9 flight plans doc from VHHH to VHHX, decompiled and recompiled this doc. Still, no go.

Re: How to populate Kai Tak? - Joeflyer - 02-02-2010

Are you sure that you input the correct Lat/Long? That could be the the problem.

Re: How to populate Kai Tak? - Leftcoaster - 02-02-2010

Using my copy of AFCAD the default Kai Tak should read in the Airports.txt file, this might vary from Flay Tampa scenery:

VHHX, N22* 19.0175',E114* 12.1571'

Read as ICAO designator, Latitude in degrees and decimal minutes, Longitutde in degress and decimal minutes and elevation. It might
be a simple text formating issue dealing with (commas) , or *. TT does not seem to catch all formatting errors when you recompile
the .bgl.

Alternately it could be an AFCAD issue with Fly Tampa itself, perhaps some parking spot thing.

Are any static aircraft in evidence at Kai Tak? If so this indicates the change was successful but the AI planes cannot land for whatever
reason.

Sorry cannot be of more assistance, have only tinkered with AI traffic and claim no expertise.

Post Edited ( 02-02-10 17:30 )

Man! Finally! - TristenEugene - 03-02-2010

Dad burn! I finally got it. Man! I feel like I am about as sharp as the leading edge of a bowling ball sometimes!!!

Trial and error, I installed the WOAI intaller, some airline packs, ran the installer and WALLA!! (Is that how you spell this?)

Got the basics anyway. ,,Now I want to fix this damn ATC stuff!! The ATC voices and such. I can figure it out -in about a year- but, can
someone direct me a little here? ATC fix for the drab FS version?

Re: How to populate Kai Tak? - Joeflyer - 03-02-2010

Since you asked, I believe the correct spelling is "viola" Wink The only thing I can suggest to "fix" the drab FS9 and/or FSX ATC is to purchase
Radar Contact. You'll be glad you did Smile

Re: How to populate Kai Tak? - airmiles - 03-02-2010

Quote:Joeflyer wrote:
Since you asked, I believe the correct spelling is "viola" Wink The only thing I can suggest to "fix" the drab FS9 and/or
FSX ATC is to purchase
Radar Contact. You'll be glad you did Smile

Well while we are on spelling I believe Jo's spelling relates to a stringed musical instrument slightly larger than a violinSmile: and the word
you are after is of French origin and spelt voila.

Enough of that back to the booze for me. Drunk

Re: How to populate Kai Tak? - Joeflyer - 03-02-2010

Ok, a bit dyslexic on the spelling. Sue me lol

Re: How to populate Kai Tak? - gbapache - 04-02-2010

dyslexia is a thing terrible.

More booze for meDrunkBeer

Re: How to populate Kai Tak? - TristenEugene - 04-02-2010

WAY COOL!! I got this retro airliners pack from classic air,, something,, and now Kai Tak is full of traffic from around 1977!! Old liveries,
VC-10's, the old Cathay Pacific L-1011's, DC-10's, 727's, a Pan Am 747-100!, you name it.

I got some good screen shots. I'll try and get'm in here.

Too much!

Re: How to populate Kai Tak? - airmiles - 05-02-2010

Quote:Joeflyer wrote:
Ok, a bit dyslexic on the spelling. Sue me lol

Sorry Joe couldn't resist