FsPassengers Forums
Gears not locked - touch and go - how to? - Printable Version

+- FsPassengers Forums (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Flight Simulators (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: FS2004 General (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Gears not locked - touch and go - how to? (/showthread.php?tid=15754)

Gears not locked - touch and go - how to? - relichd - 29-10-2008

Hiya!

A couple of days ago I had an emergency on-board while approaching RWY24 at LKPR. Co-pilot informed about gears not being locked in their position and
suggested to try a few "touch-and-gos".

As I understand, touch-and-go means landing the aircraft (no speed brakes, no reversers, no braking at all), PF keeps the plane along the centre line
and backs up the throttles while PNF is re-setting the aircraft into take off configuration. Then PF just engages TO/GA (once cleared with PNF) and
takes the plane off the runway as usually. However, this would involve say 1000ft rolling on the runway between touch down and take off.

But if I have that gear problem I guess I am supposed to perform something (I cannot name it in English, sorry Smile ) where I approach the landing
strip, hit the runway briefly but firmly and lift off the runway immediately. Just "bumping" - not rolling. How do I do it? What's the recommended
speed/flaps/attitude setting for B737-800 NG? I tried to search on the internet, had a look into different OPS manuals available out there but no
mention on this.

Thanks for any help...

David.

Re: Gears not locked - touch and go - how to? - Anastasios - 29-10-2008

As far as I know you should make a normal approach but instead of flaring to touch down smoothly you must make sure you toch the
runway firmly enough to lock the gear, but not so hard that you drop too fast and your fuselage hits the tarmac.

That's the difficult thing of this emergency, but pretty cool.

Anastasios.

Re: Gears not locked - touch and go - how to? - Jason - 30-10-2008

I've never been able to get it to work and i've been brave enough to attempt 600+ FPM. I usually just land as is and have a safe but
expensive landing.

Re: Gears not locked - touch and go - how to? - relichd - 30-10-2008

I manage to hit the runway flying visual approach and once I'm sure I hit that damn strip I immediately push the throttles to the max to engage the
TO/GA mode... But, I am not sure if this is the correct procedure...

My co-pilot says "that wasn't hard enough, give it another try". How am I supposed to do it? The only thing I can think of is approach a bit faster
with flaps to 30 at max (still talking about b737-800), otherwise I would be scared to death that I'll roll on the runway before lifting off and would
risk the gears to collapse and we're all done... lol

Re: Gears not locked - touch and go - how to? - Anastasios - 30-10-2008

In the 737 I approach with full flaps (you always land with flaps 30 or 40 btw) and touch down firmly and make sure to bump back up
again. You should not retard above runway but keep your throttle % the same as on your final approach.
When you bump back up again you can touch again. Then bump back up and touch again. On a normal runway you should be aible to do
this about 3 times or so. If then still no succes, go-around and try again or (depends on fuel) prepare for a belly landing.

If you do have succes you must go-around as well and perform a normal approach and landing again.

Anastasios.

Quote:Anastasios wrote:
You should not retard above runway but keep your throttle % the same as on your final approach.

Aaaaah... That was the problem - I retarded the throttles (but still was able to initiate G/A)...
I shall try it tonight Smile Thanks a lot...

BTW: I most often land with flaps set to 40 if weather permitting.

Re: Gears not locked - touch and go - how to? - DanSteph - 30-10-2008

It's unnatural to not flare even a bit...

Set autopilot to -700 and don't touch anything until you bump... (it should flare a bit due to ground effect anyway)

Notice I lowered this level to -500 into FsPX.

Dan

Quote:DanSteph wrote:
Set autopilot to -700 and don't touch anything until you bump... (it should flare a bit due to ground effect anyway)

So using AP at that moment is recommended? If the slight flare fails isn't there a risk of steering wheel damage (I know it's just a simulator but
still....)?

Anyway, I'll try to combine all said and I'll post it here Smile

Thanks everybody!

Post Edited ( 10-30-08 17:39 )

Re: Gears not locked - touch and go - how to? - DanSteph - 30-10-2008

When you have a gear failure there is a risk for sure Smile

The best is to flare a bit and come nose up attitude with still -700fpm but that require a very precise piloting.

Dan

That's where having yokes comes handy Smile