FsPassengers Forums
Choosing SID/STARs - Printable Version

+- FsPassengers Forums (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Flight Simulators (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: FS2004 General (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Choosing SID/STARs (/showthread.php?tid=12708)

Choosing SID/STARs - xvxmatthewxvx - 23-12-2005

Not sure if this goes in the RW Aviation category or here. But how does one go about choosing the most appropriate SID/STARS? When I
fly I randomly choose one in hopes its a smooth turn to the runway for landing or to my first waypoint after takeoff. Smile

Thanks!

Re: Choosing SID/STARs - dolbinau - 23-12-2005

Personally I just don't Use SIDS/STARS unless flying on Vatsim [ATC]

IMO There seems to be little point if flying offline, especially with default ATC.

Re: Choosing SID/STARs - xvxmatthewxvx - 23-12-2005

I thought the sid/stars were meant for a smooth turn to the landing runway or the first leg of your course? Anyways thanks for the
comment, but I like trying to make it as realistically as possible, even if offline. Trying to make it realistic is what I enjoy. Smile

Re: Choosing SID/STARs - SWAFO - 23-12-2005

Just look for what's most aligned with your course! Normally, the airline will assign these when giving a route, however occasionally ATC
will issue SID/STAR commands.

Re: Choosing SID/STARs - CODY614 - 23-12-2005

Quote:SWAFO wrote:
Just look for what's most aligned with your course! Normally, the airline will assign these when giving a route, however occasionally ATC
will issue SID/STAR commands.
O-kay.....But isnt' the ILS set up in the approach with FMC....And should that be a STAR?....I mean unless it's something other than an Loc/GS?
Cuz maybe thats why I botch so many app.'s with 737.
I use FsNavigator, And with that you can pick waypoints all the way to the threshold.....But it doesnt always mean a good app.
I've got most of the FMC figured out but them landings are dangerous at times tryin' to figure out why it won't fly the app. right.
And correct me if I'm wrong, But a STAR doesnt' always end with a CAT III(Autoland) right?
Sorry Brad but you seem to be the one to ask.....you deal with the FMC every day!

Jeff T.

Re: Choosing SID/STARs - AKLupine - 24-12-2005

Oh no, here we go again lol We had this conversation a couple weeks back, and in the end it came to if you're state side the SIDs/STARs get you
from AREA A to AREA B and not from the end of one runway to the threshhold of the other. The folks living on the other side of the pond get the door
to door treatment and I get the impression that they cannot go for a tissue without ATC giving the thumbs up. If you use the boxed ATC then even
adding STARs is a lost cause as they tend to pull you off your planned route 50-90 miles out. However, adding a SID can enhance your experiance if
you want to add some realism at least to your flight planning. Please be sure to read the notes on the SID though as not all SIDs are for all
aircraft. Here in the DFW area we have three SIDs all heading the same direction, but based on altitude and type aircraft. Helps us to help the
pilots from trading paint Smile

Re: Choosing SID/STARs - Medic_Pilot - 24-12-2005

The default ATC in FS2004 is lacking when it comes to arriving or departing an airport.

As stated earlier, it is unlikely that you will ever receive the routing of a published STAR or DP from the Microsoft team.

If you want realism with regard to actually flying the published departure or arrival, and you want to do it offline, I would suggest going
ahead and flying as a VFR. The realism may get a little shakey (or even non-existant) when flying through the clouds under VFR, but at
least you will be able to fly the routing that you have specified.

In the real world, as Brad mentioned, look for STAR's and DPs to get to toward a general area. However, it is not uncommon for ATC to
change the procedure that you filed with them. It happened to me four times on one flight departing from the DFW area.

I found the remarks regarding STARs and DPs and how they apply differently in the UK very interesting. I had no idea.

Clear skies!

Greg

Re: Choosing SID/STARs - CODY614 - 24-12-2005

Quote:AKLupine wrote:
Oh no, here we go again lol We had this conversation a couple weeks back, and in the end it came to if you're state side the SIDs/STARs get you
from AREA A to AREA B and not from the end of one runway to the threshhold of the other. The folks living on the other side of the pond get the door
to door treatment and I get the impression that they cannot go for a tissue without ATC giving the thumbs up. If you use the boxed ATC then even
adding STARs is a lost cause as they tend to pull you off your planned route 50-90 miles out. However, adding a SID can enhance your experiance if
you want to add some realism at least to your flight planning. Please be sure to read the notes on the SID though as not all SIDs are for all
aircraft. Here in the DFW area we have three SIDs all heading the same direction, but based on altitude and type aircraft. Helps us to help the
pilots from trading paint Smile
Wonder
So basicly when I plow into your airspace at DFW......With the FMC fat, dumb and happy.......you vector me, at your delight ......to what ever
runway...of your liking....Maybe even put me in a holding pattern, Even if we wanted something else?Wall
Great this makes it clear as mud!Wink
I never use MS ATC......Half the time my traffic is turned off while in flight cuz I'm still trying to figure out the systems and procedures for the
new high tech stuff, I dont' wanna do that paint tradin' stuff!

Jeff T.

Re: Choosing SID/STARs - SWAFO - 24-12-2005

That's exactly what ATC is there for!

Re: Choosing SID/STARs - AKLupine - 24-12-2005

lol not REALLY...on arrivals the winds dictate the runway.....any excessive vectoring is for controller amuzement Beer

Re: Choosing SID/STARs - CODY614 - 24-12-2005

Quote:SWAFO wrote:
That's exactly what ATC is there for!
He says with a bit of saurcasim!........I get the fact that FS ATC is unrealistic......So what would be used to used to replace it?

Re: Choosing SID/STARs - xvxmatthewxvx - 24-12-2005

Thanks everyone! I always fly IFR until I get radar contact in a few weeks. I just follow the default MSATC until I am near the airport, then I
just follow the SID myself and ignore them. Smile