FsPassengers Forums
At what point do you set your flaps? - Printable Version

+- FsPassengers Forums (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Flight Simulators (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: FS2004 General (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: At what point do you set your flaps? (/showthread.php?tid=11943)

At what point do you set your flaps? - FlyBoy2 - 06-08-2005

Just a general question to Airline Pilots since I was a flight attendant I am not sure about this, But at what point should you start setting flaps
for landing. I always thought it was done on decent but mine keep freezing on me so I am guessing it is done at a certine altitude?

Re: At what point do you set your flaps? - Twista - 07-08-2005

I usually start setting flaps about 14nms out or around 195kts or at 4000ft lol

Re: At what point do you set your flaps? - ClemsonPilot - 07-08-2005

the speed and time depends on the plane but you want to configure around 4 miles before the Final Approach Fix which is usually around 7 or 8 miles
from the runway threshold. If you load the approach on the GPS use 4 miles before the waypoint that is before the runway. If not, use 8 miles from the
airport and that give you time to slow and get used to the feel of the configured aircraft

Re: At what point do you set your flaps? - nem - 08-08-2005

In general I set them after capturing the localizer, if the plane permits it. But it also depends on the aircraft - the 727 e.g. is a challenge to
slow down on descent, so ASAP I set flaps 5 at least... which is usually still somewhere in the middle of the approach and way below FL100.

Re: At what point do you set your flaps? - Ryanamur - 08-08-2005

Usually, I configure the aircraft by the IAF. Makes life a LOT easier when flying an ILS with a 1/2 mile visibility. Once your aircraft is
configured, you just ride that loc/gp all the way to DH without fear of bubbleing when you select more flaps... Yes, you use more gaz but I
like to make it easy on me Smile

Phil

Re: At what point do you set your flaps? - FlyBoy2 - 08-08-2005

thank you guys for all your imput, I guess I was doing the flaps the wrong way I started with flaps 5 on the decent usally at FL350 so I will try them
at a lower altitude. Smile Happy Flying

Joel

Re: At what point do you set your flaps? - SWAFO - 08-08-2005

Here's a few simple rules:

FLAPS 5: Base leg, 190KTS (+10KTS if over 117.0GW in 737), OR 5 NM from FAF

FLAPS 15/GEAR DOWN: Final approach, glideslope active, 150KTS

FLAPS 30/40: Final approach, locked on glideslope and localizer, final approach speed.

How's that work?

Re: At what point do you set your flaps? - jboweruk - 09-08-2005

I'd listen to Brad, after all he's got plenty of experience that we don't, if he's wrong we just dont' fly with SWA Smile

Re: At what point do you set your flaps? - SWAFO - 09-08-2005

LOL@jboweruk! I wonder how many people have been turned off from the idea of flying SWA after they've read my comments here on the
forum? 10? 20? More? lol. Smile

Re: At what point do you set your flaps? - Ryanamur - 09-08-2005

Quote:SWAFO wrote:
LOL@jboweruk! I wonder how many people have been turned off from the idea of flying SWA after they've read my comments here on the
forum? 10? 20? More? lol. Smile

Smile Smile Smile

You know, I guess it's only a matter of time before SWA management closes in on you Smile Smile