FsPassengers Forums
[OFF TOPIC]Problem with SWA today... - Printable Version

+- FsPassengers Forums (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Flight Simulators (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: FS2004 General (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: [OFF TOPIC]Problem with SWA today... (/showthread.php?tid=11942)

[OFF TOPIC]Problem with SWA today... - SWAFO - 06-08-2005

Was at the doctors office when I heard about this... nothing too serious, but since it deals with my company, I'll
share:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,164908,00.html

It's unfortunate that we live in a world where a little note causes chaos for hundreds of people. Sad, truly sad.

Re: [OFF TOPIC]Problem with SWA today... - FlyBoy2 - 06-08-2005

Yeah it is Brad But then again its the age where they have to be on their toes

Re: [OFF TOPIC]Problem with SWA today... - nem - 06-08-2005

Quote:its the age where they have to be on their toes

I can't imagine a time where such a note would not have been taken seriously...

Re: [OFF TOPIC]Problem with SWA today... - SWAFO - 06-08-2005

I understand what you're saying, however I mean it's just stupid! I was talking briefly with someone closer to the source, and he
mentioned that supposedly the note simply said "BOMB ON BOARD", that's it! I understand that such a threat must be taken very
seriously, however it's a piece of paper! That's what's sad about it.

Re: [OFF TOPIC]Problem with SWA today... - rchwallace - 07-08-2005

Sorry to hear about the note and the relationship to your airline. I wont offer an opinions on this one really other than to say that it was
unfortunate and that the crew would of had alot on there mind as you know. I dont know your systems and would respect that you would
not share them on a forum like this but sufice it to say that I am sure all elements were exhausted and the actions which were thought to
be required were carried out etc etc. The aircraft its crew and pax are safe..... job well done.

Post Edited ( 08-07-05 16:46 )

Re: [OFF TOPIC]Problem with SWA today... - jboweruk - 08-08-2005

I was reading a couple of the other bits too, that was sad the plane crash near Seattle.

Re: [OFF TOPIC]Problem with SWA today... - nem - 08-08-2005

Sad it was, but from what I read this morning it was most likely a pilot error. Seems the plane touched down only after passing 1200 meters of runway,
leaving only 1800 to brake. Which would still have been enough for the A340 - on a dry day. But the runway was wet, so...

After passing nearly half the runway in this big bird the pilot should decide to do a go around, in my opinion.

Re: [OFF TOPIC]Problem with SWA today... - jboweruk - 08-08-2005

I didn't mean the Air France A340, I meant the 2 lights. But you know they will always try to pin the crashes on the pilot where they can,
they always do even if it turns out later it wasn't pilot error. But from what I heard the lights went out before touchdown so I think maybe a
go-around was not on anyhow, sounds to me like some kind of major electrical failure that left him with no options. Let's face it, on a 340
that would have been a very experienced crew, and unlikely both CP and PF would have made the same error, plus some people said
there were flames from the tail section before it left the runway, again suggesting he had little or no choice.

Re: [OFF TOPIC]Problem with SWA today... - DBE - 08-08-2005

Added to that, if you are following the glidescope on autoland is it at all possible to land too far down the runway?

Re: [OFF TOPIC]Problem with SWA today... - rchwallace - 08-08-2005

On the Airbus note.......... I am not experienced in them but usually due to certification requirements the Autoland should be almost fool
proof. I believe it needs to hit a spot on the runway, and I do mean a spot, repeatedly for certification. Landing long for Autoland is not
really an option. There are of course many things which could of gone wrong with maybe the airport facilities as well which we have not
heard about. It will be interesting to hear more on this........

Re: [OFF TOPIC]Problem with SWA today... - nem - 09-08-2005

I guess in the bad weather they had to deal with they decided to go for a manual landing. Would seem reasonable IMO.

DBE: glideslope or no - if you come down too fast (which may happen with the winds they had this day) and add more power to prevent a hard landing you
can sail along the runway quite a bit.