FsPassengers Forums
why must landing be so hard? - Printable Version

+- FsPassengers Forums (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Flight Simulators (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: FS2004 General (http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: why must landing be so hard? (/showthread.php?tid=11869)

Pages: 1 2 3

why must landing be so hard? - Andedrunkard - 13-07-2005

Am i not doing something right? can someone talk me through methods that they use when they begin their final descent to landing? i
always seem to have a battle to :-

a: get lined up (cant see jack through cockpit)

b: keep from landing on mrs. Lundys house on the end of the runway... lol

once i am down i am fine, i have never noticed how "RUBBISH" i am at getting on the glide slope and having a nice descent to landing. I
decided last night to go back to the flight school and practice a few landings using the notes from the program. should i or should i not
need to play with the pitch during landing?

appreciate any response... even if it is aimed at belittling my flying skills! Smile

cheers

Re: why must landing be so hard? - altstiff - 13-07-2005

Practice?

Did you do the flight tutorials in MSFS? They help.

As in real life get proficiant in a light aircraft then move on to bigger and faster things.

One tip, be very steady, no abrupt movements. Use flaps and watch the decent rate and airspeed.

Re: why must landing be so hard? - Ryanamur - 13-07-2005

If you're new, I would recommend slowing down in descent and configuring your aircraft (flaps, gear, spoilers/airbrakes, speed) prior to
intercepting the runway center line.

Once on the center line you just have to remember these 2 principles (long lasting effect):

Descent Rate is controled by power (more power = slower descent , less power = faster descent)
Speed is controled by attitude (nose down = faster, nose up = slower)

As you cross the runway threshold, raise your aircraft nose a bit, that will reduce your speed and your descent rate (since you're seconds
away from touchdown). You can also reduce power a bit or down to idle in a GA aircraft.

From here on, it's a matter of keeping your nose up until you touch down. Not too high because the tail might hit and you might stall.

Good luck.

Phil

Re: why must landing be so hard? - Andedrunkard - 13-07-2005

but i just dont seem to be getting it... i understand the physics of it all and can land a prop easier. find i can only ever do so from chase
view as cockpit view hides the runway and you dont know where you are ( is it like that in a real life jet?)

Anyway, i really need more tips from you guys if poss(as thisis a simulation, there must be easy steps to follow)... with FSP now mrs
lundy keeps sueing my hide.
Smile

Re: why must landing be so hard? - Andedrunkard - 13-07-2005

Quote:Ryanamur wrote:
If you're new, I would recommend slowing down in descent and configuring your aircraft (flaps, gear, spoilers/airbrakes, speed) prior to
intercepting the runway center line.

Once on the center line you just have to remember these 2 principles (long lasting effect):

Descent Rate is controled by power (more power = slower descent , less power = faster descent)
Speed is controled by attitude (nose down = faster, nose up = slower)

As you cross the runway threshold, raise your aircraft nose a bit, that will reduce your speed and your descent rate (since you're seconds
away from touchdown). You can also reduce power a bit or down to idle in a GA aircraft.

From here on, it's a matter of keeping your nose up until you touch down. Not too high because the tail might hit and you might stall.

Good luck.

Phil

so is there no need to play around with the pitch? also how do you know whether your going to reach the runway on your descent?

Three ways (from hardest to easiest)

1- use the ILS: if the horizontal bar and the vertical bar are in the middle, you'll land past the numbers. This is the hardest because you
must know how to use your instruments effectively.

2- Line your self up with the runway and look at it. - know this and you'll be covered for the rest of your life!

If the runway numbers are moving up = you will be short (too low)
- If you are faster then what you should be, raise the nose a bit and add a bit of power.
- If your speed is good, simply add power.
- If your speed is slow (very bad), you first add power and then raise the nose. If you're too close to the runway, full power and go around.

If the runway numbers are moving down = you will be long (too high)
- If you are faster then what you should be, reduce power and raise the nose up.
- If your speed is good, simply reduce power.
- If your speed is low, simply reduce power a tiny bit and lower the nose.

NOTE: I said moving up or down, not getting bigger! The runway will get bigger as you approach. The movement of the runway will indicate what will happen... the same principle applies on the horizontal plane (cars/aircraft/boats...): if an object seem to move towards the middle of your field of vision, he will pass in front of you; if an object seems to keep its place but only getting bigger, you will hit it; if an object seem to be moving out of your field of vision, you will pass in front of it.

3- Use the VASI and PAPI on the side of the runway (the red and white lights)

Red means low, white means high. Each light is on a slightly different angle. When 1/2 the lights are red and 1/2 the lights are white, you will
touchdown past the numbers (same place as the ILS)

Phil

Post Edited ( 07-13-05 18:04 )

Re: why must landing be so hard? - SWAFO - 13-07-2005

Listen to Ryan, he knows what he's talking about!

Quote:Andedrunkard wrote:
why must landing be so hard?

Simple answer: Because it's landing!

Quote:SWAFO wrote:
Listen to Ryan, he knows what he's talking about!

Thanks, I haven't step foot in a cockpit in 6 years now and miss it very much! Guess some things you never forget!

Re: why must landing be so hard? - bdparris - 13-07-2005

Also keep in mind runway length vs. the type of aircraft you are flying. Remember that there is a maximum landing weight (a heavier a/c
will have different stall, approach and final speeds) and watch your weight settings for passengers, cargo, and fuel as you will need more
runway length with a fully loaded plane.

Yeah, landing is one of those things you can get rusty on (very, very rusty), but you'll never truly forget it.

Re: why must landing be so hard? - LukeJGerst - 14-07-2005

If you have trouble seeing out, you can press W in 2d-cockpit view to see only the six primary instruments and the rest will be front view.

Re: why must landing be so hard? - Ryanamur - 14-07-2005

Hi LukeJGerst,

The only thing with that is be very carefull in FsP... if you fly only with the primaries, you might miss a clue that a failure is coming... so you
might be better off coming back to the basic view every 30 seconds or so!

Re: why must landing be so hard? - LukeJGerst - 14-07-2005

Ah, oops, that must be why the plane suddenly flipped over last night. Wink j/k

Re: why must landing be so hard? - Pierino - 14-07-2005

@Andedrunkard

Raise your pilot seat by pressing SHIFT & ENTER, you'll see the runway easier. I do that all the time and don't have to use external view as I used to.
The seat can be put back to his standard position by pressing BACKSPACE (if I remember correctly).

Pierino